Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cherokee Language Lessons- Giduwa Dialect

Siyu!
I am posting lessons in the EASTERN (aka Giduwa) Dialect of the Cherokee language as spoken in Big Cove on the Qualla in North Carolina.

The LINKS on this web page take you to YOU TUBE where you may SEE the language, HEAR the language and REPEAT the language as many times as you need.

There are not many resources available for studying this language. I am blessed to live among the people who speak this dialect. This gift is not something I would dare hoard, and so I was delighted when my daughter, Walelu, showed me how to share the language through YOU TUBE. Next, my daughter in law told me about this site where I can post links to the lessons.

Please enjoy and learn.

Remember, this dialect is different than what is spoken in Oklahoma and elsewhere.

It is even different than what you will hear in NC in Tutiyi (Snowbird)-- which is ALSO a apart of the Qualla but has a different dialect than Giduwa!

That does not make any dialect incorrect. It is merely different-- just as folks in England speak their language differently than folks in Australia--One is not more correct than the other. They are just different.

Sgi!
(Shgee means thanks!)

Tsasuyed

Cherokee Greetings in Eastern Dialect

Slow version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxJaH8Bxpg

Normal speaking (Fast) Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EcqRlCYANQ

No comments: